Heartburn is one of the most common symptoms of indigestion. This uneasy acid reflux condition can manifest itself in many ways: in most people it is an uncomfortable tingly sensation in the chest area, while in some people, the symptoms can reach quite close to the symptoms of asthma. Here are some simple remedies for heartburn indigestion that have been tried and tested over the ages.
1. Eat slowly – In these rushed lives of ours, we are not quite at fault that we eat like we are already three hours late for everything. However, this is one of the main causes of heartburn. We need to give our body the time to acquaint itself with what we are putting in. Things like keeping good eating posture, chewing food well, concentrating on the food while eating, etc. are important because they aid in digestion. This gives proper time to the stomach to digest the food properly and even helps in maintaining good health.
Also, it is ideal not to eat large meals if you have indigestion problems. The best way is to have smaller portions throughout the day so that they get time to get digested completely.
2. Remain stress-free and get adequate sleep – Again, these are essential points not just as a remedy for heartburn, but also for maintaining good health. Tensions and worries can ruin a person’s digestion system. Meditative exercises like Yoga work as boosters for the digestive system. Additionally, it is important to get at least eight hours of sleep a day to allow the body to revive its energies.
3. Avoid smoking and alcoholism – Both tobacco and alcohol can act as heartburn triggers. They can bring on the condition of indigestion immediately. Also, they can inhibit the digestive process, thus causing heartburn. If you have recurrent bouts of heartburn, you must quit on smoking and alcoholism. At least, you must never drink when you are eating.
4. Try some herbal remedies – Aloe vera and licorice are two of the best herbal remedies for heartburn indigestion. You have to extract the juice of fresh aloe vera leaves and have it frequently. With licorice, make sure that you are using the licorice from which glycyrrhizin has been removed. You must make a special effort of using de-glycyrrhizinated licorice if you have complaints of high blood pressure.
5. Avoid heartburn triggers – There are several foods that can aggravate heartburn conditions. Caffeine and cola drinks are the prime triggers and must be definitely avoided. Similarly, chocolate should be a strict no-no. Other foods that need to be avoided are tomatoes and mints, especially spearmint and peppermint. Avoid oranges and other citrus fruits too, because they have a high acidic content.
6. Consume easily digestible foods – If you have recurrent heartburn problems, you must change your diet so that you consume foods that can get digested faster. Consume green leafy vegetables and salads that can add to the digestive quality of the food. Avoid spicy and hot foods that do not get digested easily.
These are some common remedies for heartburn indigestion that have been found to work. Remember that with heartburn, it is not just about quick-fix remedies, but you need to bring about some changes in the way you live if you want lasting benefits.